Following independence from Spain in 1816, Argentina experienced periods of internal political conflict between conservatives and liberals and between civilian and military factions. After World War II, a long period of Peronist dictatorship was followed by a military junta that took power in 1976. Democracy returned in 1983, and four free elections since then have underscored Argentina's progress in democratic consolidation. - US CIA World Factbook


---Vickers M1934 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Vickers M1934 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Photo taken on 9 July 1938. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine Vickers 1934 on maneuvers at Entre Ríos in October 1946. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---9 July 1940 - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Note the Nahuel tank in back! - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Vickers M1934

The helmets in this photo are actually made of fiber with plastic like impregnation that made them appear to look like steel from a distance. The Vickers Model 1934 tanks were purchased in 1937 and as Dr. Georg V. Rauch, Argentine historian, points out that they were merely intended as training vehicles. There was a requirement for 160 tanks, of which the leading contender was the Czech THNP 38. That tank was never ordered due to the Munich Agreement.


Photo taken on 9 July 1944.---Photo taken on 9 July 1948.---9 July 1944 - Nahuels on parade. Note the absence of any Anti-Aircraft MG atop the turret. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch and courtesty of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Roll out of the first Nahuel at The Esteban de Luca Arsenal; c. May, 1944  (left to right) Gral. Edelmiro Farrel, president, Col. Juan D. Perón, Minister of War, Lt. Col Baisi and rear Admiral Tessaire. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Clipping from Life Magazine, July 1944. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---9 July 1944, Lt. Col. Baisi heads the formation of Nahuels as it files past the main reviewing stand. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---One of the two "Nahuel" tanks demonstrated at the Exposition of 4 June 1944 (which was intended to highlight the accomplishments of the military government  which seized power 4 June 1943) very real achievements in the fields of armaments, as proven by the presence of the "Nahuel" and to the right the IAé 22 advanced trainer, totally built at the Instituto Aerotécnico at Córdoba; including its 450 hp radial engine and radio. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

9 July 1944 lt.Col. Baisi in the commander's position. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Another view of the "Nahuel" 4 June 1944, being shown to cadets from the Colegio Militar de la Nación". - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Nahuel - July 9, 1945 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Finishing touches at the 9 July 1944 Expo - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---9 July 1944 Expo - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Nahuel (Medium Tank Nahuel D.L. 43)

The Tanque 'Nahuel', Modelo DL 43 was a medium tank designed and built in Argentina in 1943. The name means Tiger in Araucano, an native langauge of the south of Argentina. Contrary to what is popularly believed, it was a totally indigenous design, and not a copy of the U.S. M4 'Sherman'. It's design was "inspired" by the M4, but it was not a copy. The photo on the left above shows Teniente Coronel (Lt. Colonel) Alfredo Baisi, the designer of the tank. Both photos above were taken on July the 9th, though, 4 years apart. July 9th being Argentina's independence day.

Like the M4, the 'Nahuel' was armed with a 75mm main gun, and there was a co-axially mounted 12.7mm, and
three hull-mounted 7,65mm machine guns.

This tank had a 5-man crew, and was powered by a 500 hp engine giving it a top speed of 25 mph and a range of approximately 150 miles. It had armor of 80mm maximum.

Ironically, after only 16 of these tanks were produced, production of the Nahuel ceased and U.S. M4s were supplied to Argentina. More detailed information about this tank can be found in the 1972 article "Ancora dal Sudamerica"- by Dr. Georg von Rauch in the magazine Eserciti e Armi.

Specifications
Crew: 5
Weight: 35,000 Kg
Engine: FMA-Lorraine Dietrich 12 EB, 12 cylinders in W, 500 Hp, water cooled.
Performance: Road: 40km/h
Range: Road: 250km
Length: 6.223m
Width: 2.33m
Height: 2.952m
Armor 80mm (max)
Armament: 1 Krupp Model 1909 75/30 mm, 1 x 13mm coaxial MG and three 8mm MG.
Manufacturer Arsenal Esteban de Luca in Buenos Aires.
Tracks 76 links

Argentine M4A4. Photo taken on 9 July 1948. - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Sherman M4A4 of the Argentine "Granaderois a Caballo " (Mounted Grenadiers), a unit which serves as the presidential escort, but is fully operational. In 1955m it included a armored company with 3 M4A4s, five M9 half-tracks and five T16 carriers. On 16 June 1955 it helped put down a naval uprising against President Juan Peón. The rebellion failed due to poor coordination and low visibility, which hindered precision bombing against selected targets. The grenadier regiment defended the executive mansion (which can be seen on the background). This was the target of the naval air attack. With great courage they, reinforced by other army units, launched a counter attack against a marine battalion which sought to capture the executive mansion and drove it back. The officer (center of the picture) is carrying a Halcon Mod. 1946 9mm submachine gun. Standing by the main gun you'll note an officer of the Policía Federal in the traditional dark blue uniform. - Photo and story courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine "Firefly". Photo taken in 1962. - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo taken by Dr. Georg V. Rauch in Buenos Aires on 9 July 1972 and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.

One of 120 Sherman Firefly IC and VC modernized beginning 1978, when war with Chile seemed imminent over a territorial dispute in the Beagle Channel. The Shermans were modernized with a new 105 mm L.44 cannon produced under license at the Dirección General de Fabricaciones Militares (DGFM) Plant at Rio Tercero, in the province of Córdoba. The main armament was the same employed by the AMX 13 and SKF 105 tanks operated by the Argentine Army. This guns utilizes HE, HEAT and hollow-shaped 105 mm rounds made by the DGFM, the latter has an initial muzzle velocity of 3655 feet per second and has a maximum penetration of 360 mm (14.2 in) of armor plate. In addition the upgraded Sherman carried a DGFM-built MAG 7.62mm machine gun and a Browning 12, 7 mm in the turret, as well as four 81mm smoke-grenade discharges. A French-built Poyaud 520 hp replaced The Ford GA-llll engines mounted aboard these AFVS. There were bulldozer versions, fitted with Argentine -built dozer blades, and mine sweeping models with Israeli-built KTM-3" Urdan" rollers. In both cases of these versions the Sherman retained its main armament. - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Upgraded Argentine Shermans - 105 mm L.44 gun. Note one of these has a "dozer" blade. Photo taken in the 1980s. - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Upgraded Argentine Sherman - 105 mm L.44 gun (1990). - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine Sherman "Firefly" Regt.  3 April 1963, at Punta Indio Naval Air Base - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.

M4A4 Sherman in maneuvers in the subtropical swamps in the Northeastern province of Corrientes (Oct. 1949) - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Shermans of the 8th Tank Regiment. Photo taken on 9 July 1948. -  Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Sherman Firefly 18 September 1955. -  Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Sherman Firefly - Sherman Fireflys - sent to retake the rebel naval base at Puerto Belgrano and Comandante Espora naval air base. On September 18th, 1955 these "Fireflys" and other armored vehicles beat off an attack by naval Grumman "Duck" aircraft. During the firefight, two of these aircraft were shot down. - Photo from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---In the early 1962, the upper echelons of the Argentine army were split along ideological lines. These factions took the names traditionally used during army maneuvers. September Sherman "Firefly" tanks of the "Azul" ( Blue) army faction advancing towards the Etcheverry road junction Province of Buenos Aires. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Photo provided by Victor Almeida---Photo provided by Victor Almeida---Photo provided by Victor Almeida---Photo by and from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Firefly and M113 - March 1976 - Photo by and from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Firefly, June 1966. - Photo by and from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Monument in Cordoba Argentina. - Photo by and from the Dr. Georg V. Rauch collection and provided by Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Up-graded Sherman (note the 105mm L44 cannon) with Israeli-built Urdan LTM3 anti-mine roller. - photo research by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---One of two Sherman M4A4s retained for training until the late 1970s by the 8th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Argentne Army. - photographed October 1997 by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

line of Sherman "Firefly" tanks - 1962 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---M4A4s in downtown Buenos Aires, September 1955 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Sherman "Firefly"Mk VCs of the Destacamento De Explracion Blindado No.10, Buenos Aires, 9 July 1969. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---In the early 1962, the upper echelons of the Argentine army were split along ideological lines. These factions took the names traditionally used during army maneuvers. The "Colorado" ("Red") army faction is seen here with a Sherman Firefly. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo courtesy of Andre Maurois

Argentinian Fireflys taking part in the coup on 24 March 1976. Note the M113 APC in the background. - Photo contribution by Daniella Carlsson
The U.S. M4 "Sherman"

Note the "British style" helmets in the right photo. In truth, the helmets are that in appearance only! They are in fact they are just a protective  ring of cork built encased in cloth, just like tropical helmets. Note that they have built in ear pads which enclose the earphone. Lt.Cnl. Carlos R. Doglioli advised TANKS! that "about the Sherman tanks bought by the Argentine Army in 1946 and whose delivery begun in 1947, they included a number of AFVs mounting the excellent British 17 pounder, known here by its caliber in mm., that is 76,2 mm. I am quite sure that Argentina was the only S. American country to field these Sherman with British 17 pounders. All the other S. American countries had Sherman's with 75 mm. guns."


Argentine M31 ARV. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
U.S. M31 Recovery Vehicles

2 units obtained from the United States.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---1942 Note the 12 Vickers model 1934 light tanks, motorcycles at intervals and at least 24 Thornycroft 6 x 6 trucks on the bakground. - Photo research by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Thornycroft  "Amazon" 6x6 Truck/Half-Track

Thornycroft "Amazon" 6 x 6 trucks/half-tracks of the Argentine Army used as artillery prime movers. These are part of a batch of 12 units acquired in 1938 and converted into artillery tractors (note the armored hood over the engine) at the Esteban de Luca Arsenal. You'll note that by slipping a track, provided by the manufacturer, over the two rear axles these vehicles were easily converted into half-tracks (a feature common to Thornycroft and certain types of French trucks as far back as the early 1920s). The US version of this type of track was called the "Chase Track System". J. Walter Christie also experimented with a version of this track as well. I understand that the helmets were based on the Swiss design and are made of steel as can be seen the the left photo. More detailed information about this tank can be found in the book "Ancora dal Sudamerica"-by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Click HERE to see more detailed photos of the helmet.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---A photo of one of the M7s of the 2nd Armored Artillery Group. These vehicles were out of service by the late 1960s, some even preserved as "Gate Guardians" until 1981,when General Galtieri; the Commander in Chief of the Army ordered a complete refit. The job was done at TENSA, Talleres Electrómetalurgicos Norte S.A. a well-established an competent engineering firm. When the refit was complete, their old power plants  replaced by air cooled 450hp Deutz F10 413Fs, new tracks and new electronics. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine M4A4s and a M7 SPG. September 1955, Bueno Aries. - Photo research by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
U.S. M7

Argentine M-7self-propelled howitzers (6 purchased in 1950) note the Crusader self-propelled guns in the background) taken during a parade held in August 1950 marking the 100th anniversary of the death of Gral. José de San Martí, liberator of Argentina, Chile and Peru.


Crusader Mk.1 SPG - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Crusader self-propelled gun in maneuvers, in the province of Entre Rios, October 1949. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Crusader SPG of the Argentine Army, September 1955. - Photo research by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Crusader Mk.1 SPG

The Argentine Army converted the British Crusader Mk.1 into a self propelled gun. Lt.Cnl. Carlos R. Doglioli advised TANKS! that "on British Crusader chassis were mounted 105 mm  French Schneider Creusot Model 1928  Howitzers and 75 mm Swedish Bofors Model 1935 guns. The design was ¨authored¨  by the by now  deceased Colonel Bidone (an Artilleryman who also was a Military Engineer, his two sons are also retired Army Colonbel, one of them was my Artillery  instructor in our  Staff School and that is how I know this)." He also adds "The picture with the lady in front of one of the 105 SP guns was a quite known one from September  1955 taken during a revolutionary movement of those days and it became public in magazines of those days. I remember that quite distinctly. It was published originally in a special issue of a news magazine called ESTO ES. The other two pictures of these SP guns on Crusaders, notice the colonial type cork helmets, are from typical spring maneuvers (usually performed during the second half of October). None of these vehicles has survived, they were all scrapped a long time ago. Most likely sometime in the ¨60´s¨."

Specifications
Crew: 5 (75mm version) 7 (105mm version)
Weight: 17.5 tons
Engine: Nuffield-Liberty V12-340hp
Performance: Road: 58km/h
Range: Road: 140km, 500 liters fuel capacity
Length: 6.7m
Width: ?
Height: 2.27m
Armor ?
Armament: ( 3 versions)
1) Schneider 10.5cm L.18, mod. 1928 howitzer.
2) Krupp 7,5cm L,30 Mod. 1909
3) Bofors 7,5cm L.40 Mod. 1935
All models carried an 3 Madsen Mod. 1926 7.65mm MG

Crossley Armored Car Model 1926 seen here on 6 Sept. 1930. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo taken on 9 July 1928 - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---4 June 1943. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Vickers Crossley model 1926 - June 1943. Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine Crossley, September 1930. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo provided by Dr. Andre Maurois
Crossley Armored Car Model 1926

6 units were purchased in 1927 and remained in service until 1945.


(no picture possible)
Czech THN-38P

The Argentine War Ministry had given the "green light" for the purchase of these tanks. Preliminary talks had begun but talks broke down as Hitler ocupied Czechoslovakia by stages.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine Marines. Note the T.16s towing Solothurn St-5 37 mm FLAK, a direct ancestor of  the 37mm WW2 FLAk gun. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine T16s converging upon the city of Córdoba, then held by rebel forces 16-19 September, 1955. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Photo taken June, 1956. Note the Danish Madsen 7.65mm Model 1926 light machine gun. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Motorized Infantry 9 July 1951. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Argentine Marine Infantry T16 preserved at the Naval Museum, Puerto Belgrano. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---In the early 1962, the upper echelons of the Argentine army were split along ideological lines. These factions took the names traditionally used during army maneuvers. Here a September 1962 formation of "Blue" Sherman Firefly tanks, M9 half-tracks and T.16 carriers advancing through thge outskirts of Buenos Aires. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

T-16 armored personnel carrier - 1950 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---T-16 in maneuvers in the Mesopotamian region of Argentina - 1954 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Eva Peron's elaborate funeral. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
British (Ford) Bren Gun Carriers, T-16

9 July 1947, Argentine T.16s. In 1946-47 the Argentine government was able to procure hundreds of AFVS (including 302 T.16s, 280 for the Army and 24 for the "Infantería de Marina" (Marines). they carried 1 x 7.65 model 1928 Colt water-cooled MG and 1 x Madsen 7.65mm model 1927 MG. The Madsen was carried on operational missions on a spintle mount (rather like the British mounted their Bren guns aboard these vehicles) (note the Vickers mod. 1934s in the background). These were US (Ford) built Bren Gun carriers, meant for "Lend Lease"/ rm and were British surplus stock disposed by the Belgians in Antwerp.


Photo taken by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---28 January 1989 at the Marine Infantry Training Center at Mar del Plta 2 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---LVT-4 of the Argentine Marine Corps 1st Amphibious Batallion, established in 1947. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois
U.S. LVT-4

This vehicle was used by the Argentine Marine Corp.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois - Improved photo submitted by Bill Morran.---M9 half-tracks of the Argentine 15th Armored Cavalry Regiment. The unit has since re-equipped with Mowag Grenadiers, AMX 13s,, and AML90s.Two M9's are still maintained as gate guardians. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---M9 Cañones de Asalto -  Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---M9s of the 16th Mechanized Infantry regiment -note the DGFM model 1974 105mm-recoiless rifle. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.

Up-graded M9 half-tracks - 1985. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---M9 ,September 1955, of the Loyalists forces preparing for an assault on the rebel naval base at Puerto Belgrano. - Photo research by Dr. Georg v. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
US M9 Half-Tracks

Cañones de Asalto ( "Assault Guns") which like the Crusader SPGS were issued to the reconnaissance detachments of the Argentine Army. These were local conversions of M9 half-tracks armed at Esteban de Luca with the Krupp mod. 1909 7.5cm L.30 gun (the former standard artillery piece of the Argentine Army until replaced by the Bofors 7.5cm L.40 Mod. 1935). During 1946-47 the Argentine Army took delivery of 327 half-tracks of various types, among which the M9 predominated. These were issued to cavalry regiments serving with the "1st División Blindada" (1st Armored Division) at Campo de Mayo, about 10 miles from Buenos Aires, and others to infantry and recon infantry units. Of these 226 were still operational in 1961. In 1978, when war with Chile seemed imminent, around 150 surviving vehicles were upgraded, and their power plants replaced by an Argentine-built Fiat CP-3 160hp diesel engine, new electronics were provided ands well as a VCR-3600 radio. Some half-tracks were fitted with Oerlikon model 1938 20mm L.70 A.A. cannon, others later on with DGFM-built 105mm model 1974 recoilless rifles. In the 1990s, when large numbers of Argentine-built VCTP and MDAP supplied M-113 armored personnel carriers the veteran half-tracks were passed on to several mechanized infantry regiments (including the 15th and 20th) - Altogether around 120 of these timeless vehicles, which work better than there were new still remain operational. Lt.Cnl. Carlos R. Doglioli advised TANKS! that "of all those WWII vintage armored vehicles the Argentine Army still maintains in active service more than one hundred Half Tracks. Most of them armed with 20 mm Oerlikon guns They're used in an APC role in some Mech. Infantry Regiments."


Argentine army M5 half-track, September 1962. Note the troops are wearing the US M1 (Model 1942) helmet and carrying FAL 7.62mm rifles. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
US M5 Half-Tracks

No data.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Bash Armored Car

According to historian Dr. Georg V. Rauch, "In the early 1930s, the Federal Police of Buenos Aires ordered three armored vehicles from the Adolfo Bash firm, a local firm which had been building safes and armored vaults for banks and official institutions since 1882. Two of these were mounted aboard International B-series medium truck chassis and featured a rotary turret armed with a pair of Thompson submachine guns, which revolved over ball bearings. The third vehicle constructed over International A-series light truck reassembled a roadster of the period; but was fully armored and fitted with a two-way radio. The introduction of the larger Bash armored cars in 1933 led several foreign observers (including the US. Military Attaché) to conclude that the Army had transferred its Crossley model 1926 armored cars to the Federal Police; but this simply was not the case." The firm kept building armored cars for banks well into the late 1970s, many of them are still in use; but did not build any more armored vehicles for the Federal Police of the military.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Yacaré Armored Tractor

These were International Harvester commercial tractors purchased by the Army, and converted into armored artillery tractors at the "Esteban de Luca" Arsenal, which also produced the "Nahuel" tanks. At least the Argentinians did not try to fool the world into thinking that these were front line battle tanks like New Zealand, the United States, and Afghanistan (read about the NZ Semple and the US Disston in each section of TANKS!)!


9 Julu 1947 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Harley Davidson Motorcycle

Harley Davison motorcycles with side cars. The crews are armed with Argentine-designed and built "HAlcon" model 1946 sub-machine guns, in 9mm Parabellum, with folding stocks, Note the Willys Jeep and GMC 2 1/2 ton trucks in the background.


9 July 1944 - FN Armored Motorcycle. Note the Nahuel tank in the background. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
FN Armored Motorcycle

No details.


9 July 1951 Canadian Chevrolet 3cwt, Willis Jeep, GMC 6 x 6 2.5 Ton. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Canadian Chevrlolet 3 CWT truck with cadets of the "Colegio Militar de la Nación" (The Argentine Army's Military Academy) and a Browning M2HB Browning 12.7mm machine gun in an ML.63 A.A. mount. In the background, several Plymouth 1941 command cars, a modification of commercial sedans with roof sides and fenders cut off undertaken at the Esteban de Luca Arsenal. Photo - 1947 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Canadian Chevrolet 3cwt, Willis Jeep, GMC 6 x 6 2.5 Ton

No details.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Dodge Command Car

Dodge Model 1938 or 1939 command car. This was an extensively modified  Dodge commercial pick up undertaken at produced at the Esteban de Luca Arsenal, which also produced the  "Nandu " command car and the "Nahuel" tank. The standard bearer wears the leather jerkin of the troops assigned to the ?Escuela de Tropas Mecanizadas" (Armored Troops School).


9 July 1947 - Studebaker 2 1/2 ton trucks of the Argentine Army - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Photo research by Dr. Georg von Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Studebaker Trucks

No details.


August 1950 -Bofors 40mm L60 (note the Canadian Chevrolet trucks). - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Bofors 40mm AA Gun

No details.


Volvo TLD truck, purchased in 1946 - photo taken sometime between 1946 to 1948 at the Mounted Grenadier Regiment barracks. - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
Volvo Trucks

No details.


Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
The German Tempo 1200

The German Tempo 1200 reconnaissance car of the Argentine Army's "Batallón de Arsenales". Note the Vickers M1934 in the background.


The Nandu - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---The Nandu - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
The Nandu

The Nandú, an Argentine-built jeep/command car was first exhibited publicly on 9 July 1945. Produced at the "Esteban de Luca" Arsenal, in conjunction with private manufacturers. This sturdy vehicle was powered by what is thought to be a 76 hp engine manufactured by HAFDASA (Hispano Argentina Fabrica de Automobiles) an armaments concern which produced small arms, engines etc. Their .45caliber pistol, inspired by the Colt 1911A1 model, was produced in large quantities throughout the war, and supplied to the British Army. A pre-production batch of 10 units was ordered, and these surpassed grueling field tests for over a year. By that time, the availability of surplus US Jeeps brought plans to manufacture this promising model to an end. The Nandú is the South American Ostrich.


HAFDASA 6x6 - Photo research by Dr. Georg V. Rauch. Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
HAFDASA Prime Mover

1939 HAFDASA 6 x 6 artillery prime mover. This truck was produced at the HAFDASA (Hispano Argentina Fabrica de Aumotobiles) plant in Buenos Aires during 1939 and 1942 was an original design, powered by a 150 HAFDASA diesel engine.  


Argentine M4 Prime Mover, August 1950. These vehicles were used to tow M1A1 90mm A.A. guns. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.---Note the Argentine M1A1 90mm AA gun. The M4 is barely visable on the right side of the photo. - Photo courtesy of Dr. André Louis Maurois.
U.S. M4 Prime Mover

No details.


People who helped make this page possible

Thorlief.jpg (18804 bytes)
Thorleif Olsson
Author of
Baltic AFV's & Armored Trains 1918 - 1940
Red Steel! - Soviet tanks 1920 - 1945

davidbarrett.jpg (9762 bytes)
David Barrett

Roberto Digliodo

Stefan de Meyer
Stefan De Meyer

Dr. Andre Louis Maurois
Dr. André Louis Maurois

Dr. Georg V. Rauch
Dr. Georg V. Rauch
Author of
Conflict in the Southern Cone

Victor Almeida
Victor Almeida

Bill Morran

Daniella
Daniella Carlsson

Lt.Cnl. Carlos R. Doglioli

ohoh.jpg (5772 bytes)

guestbook.gif (149 bytes)

Last Update: Thursday, February 13, 2003

m1340.gif (25509 bytes)

Jose San Martin - Liberator of Argentina

This page is dedicated to...
Jose de San Martin

Biography