A land of vast distances and rich natural resources, Canada became a self-governing dominion in 1867 while retaining ties to the British crown. Economically and technologically the nation has developed in parallel with the US, its neighbor to the south across an unfortified border. Its paramount political problem continues to be the relationship of the province of Quebec, with its French-speaking residents and unique culture, to the remainder of the country. - US CIA World Factbook


The Canadian Tank Corps had been formed early in 1918 and equipped with the latest British Mk V heavy and French Renault light tanks. This unit was disbanded at the end of the World War 1. Not another tracked unit was available to the small Canadian army until twelve Carden-Loyd Mk VIB were purchased in 1930 for a handful of mobile machine gun platoons.

In 1936, due to the deteriorating international situation, the Canadian Defense Department decided to form an armored force with the intent to train a small group of men in tank warfare in the event of war. The Tank Training School was set up at London, Ontario, with the earlier purchased Carden-Loyd Mk VIB carriers used as training vehicles. Also added were two Vickers Mk VI light tanks with 14 more ordered in 1939.

The 1940 fall of France, and the bombing offensive against Britain, led to a decision that Canada be made a source of manufacture of light armored vehicles and tanks. An authorization was given for the formation of two Canadian Armored Divisions in the summer of 1940. This necessitated a requirement for over 1,000 cruiser type tanks to equip these divisions. It was obvious that these could not be supplied through British production and that tank production in the United States was limited to British and American orders. The English and Canadians then decided to construct a Tank Arsenal in Canada under the administration of Montreal Locomotive Works with the assistance of its parent organization, American Locomotive. It was further decided that the Canadian built cruiser tank design would be based on that of the US M3 medium tank to save time and utilize mechanical and chassis components already in production. By the autumn of 1940, it became clear that many of the design features of the M3 would be far from satisfactory for the British or Canadian soldiers, in particular the high silhouette, sponson-mounted main armament, inadequate armor protection, and lack of radio in the turret. By January 1941 it was decided that Canada must develop and produce it's own tank utilizing the mechanical components of the M3 and make it standard with British main armament. This vehicle came to be known as the Ram tank. The Ram was named in honor of the founder of the Canadian Armored Corps, General "Worthy" Worthington. The Ram was part of his family crest.

A running prototype of the Ram was completed in June 1941. Canada's Ram with a 6pdr gun production engineering drawings were assumed to be supplied by the United Kingdom. These did not materialize. The mantlet, cradle and elevating gear had to all be designed in Canada. While the engineering was being finalized, the first fifty vehicles were fitted with the standard 2pdr gun and designated Ram Mk I. Production mounting the 6pdr gun then became the Ram Mk II. Though the Ram looked like an American M4 Sherman, it quickly became evident that it lacked the firepower needed to overcome other enemy tanks. For this reason, Rams were used as training vehicles, conversions to Kangaroos, command vehicles, and test chassis.

In 1942, the United States put the M4 into production replace the M3. The M4 incorporated all the features of the Ram and met British requirements. Thought was given to manufacture of the M4 in Canada but increased orders for the Valentine tank and the arsenal facilities in the United States rendered this idea moot. However, it was agreed that Ram production would be halted for the M4 Sherman at the earliest possible time. The specifications were laid down in September 1942 for the Canadian production of the M4AI. This tank became known as the 'Grizzly'. In August 1943 changeover in production was achieved after an amazing production of 1,941 Rams. While it had been planned to build large quantities of the Grizzly, orders were reduced when it was realized that the production of Sherman tanks from the USA would be sufficient for Allied requirements. Of the 188 Grizzly tanks built, some were allocated to British Forces but the bulk of them were retained for training.

It was as the Kangaroo that Ram tank and it's designers would make the contribution to the Canadian soldier and history. Hitting the battlefield in 1944, the Kangaroo would become the first truly successful Armored Personnel Carrier (APC). Other contributions of the Ram were as armored recovery vehicles, towing vehicles, ammunition carriers, recovery units, and experiments. A popularly quoted model by Canadian sources, called the Skink, was armed with four 20 mm cannon for anti-aircraft defense. This vehicle was never adopted for use though one was sent "over there" for evaluation. By the time of it’s arrival, the German airforce was anything but a "force" and there was not much for the Skink to shoot at. It did get the opportunity to shoot up some ground targets with it’s rapid firing cannons. The contribution of the Ram and all the other vehicles provided by Canada during WW2 proved just how resourceful the Canadian people are when the going got tough.


1918 Canadian Autocar - Canadian infantry are seen here moving past a unit of the 1st Canadian Armored Machine Gun Brigade.---The 1st Canadian Armored Machine Gun Brigade
The Canadian Autocar - 1918

The 1st Canadian Armored Machine Gun Brigade was equiped with light trucks made by the Autocar Company of Pennsylvania. The trucks had an armored cab and sides. These units were instrumental in stopping the German offensive in 1918, however, their losses were considerable. Unlike other armored cars, these had no turret to protect the gunner.


(no photo)
The Renault FT-17

(no information)



Mark V

The 1st Canadian Tank Battalion, was issued Mark V's while training at Bovington Camp, England, in August, 1918. The Armistice occurred just as the Battalion was getting ready to embark for the Continent. They were repatriated in 1919. The 2nd Battalion arrived in England on October 18, 1918, and was under quarantine for the influenza epidemic when the war ended. As they were near the port when space opened up on the Aquitania, they were amongst the first Canadian units repatriated. The 3rd Battalion was disbanded while recruiting in Quebec.

Specifications
Crew 8
Weight 65,120 lbs
Length 26' 5"
Width 13' 6"
Height 8' 8"
Range 45 miles
Armor 6 - 14 mm
Engine 150 hp
Armament 2 x 6 pounders, 4 x MG
Performance 4.6 mph (road)

Carden Loyd Tankette---RCD Carden-Lloyd, 1931 - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.
Carden Loyd Tankette

Purchased for training in the 1930's.


Canadian Vickers Mark 6a seen here in training during 1940. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---Mark VI Light Tank---Camp Borden---Camp Borden
Vickers Mark 6A Light Tank

Purchased for training in the 1930's.


RCD Chevrolet Armored Car 1930-41 - Dennis Berkin
Chevrolet Armored Car

Used in the 1930's. No details are known.


Ford Armored Car, 1934 at Petawawa. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---Ford Armored Car, 1936 at Petawawa. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---Ford Armored Car, 1936 at Petawawa. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---Picture courtesy of Dennis Berkin
Ford "All Terrain" Armored Car

In 1934, Ford and General Motors were each invited to build an experimental armored car to undergo testing by the Permanent Force. The deal involved the government paying for the materials and chassis’ while the companies paid for the design work and assembly. In the end the government paid $2,500.00 compared to Ford and G.M. which paid $9,000.00 each to build their respective cars.

The Ford differed from the Chevrolet in that it had dual wheels on the second and third axles, an eight-cylinder gasoline engine, and the armor plating was welded rather than riveted and bolted. Both armored cars had a maximum speed of 30 mph and the Ford was able to do 8 mph in reverse. Plans called for arming the vehicles with the Vickers Mk. VI medium machine gun but these were delayed as the feed mechanisms were on the wrong side, having been originally designed by the British for right hand drive vehicles. The cars underwent testing at Petawawa, Ontario with the Royal Canadian Dragoons where it was found that both performed satisfactorily. The ten wheel Ford performed the best in off-road tests and the six wheel Chevrolet excelled on roads. Orders for further cars failed to materialize due to budgetary limitations and the Ford experimental car was shipped to Winnipeg for use by the Lord Strathcona’s Horse. The Chevrolet remained with the RCD. Other than the handful of Carden-Loyd carriers obtained in the early 1930’s, these two armored cars were the only armored vehicle procurements by the Canadian Permanent Force until the acquisition of a number of British Mk. VI B Light Tanks in 1938.


Shown here arriving at Camp Borden, Canada. Date: September, 1940.---Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---M1917 - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---M1917 tanks used for training by the Canadians at Camp Borden. - Photo contribution by Bill Morran
The U.S. M17

US M1917 tanks were purchased by the Canadian government, at $20 a ton plus a 100% mark up which means that each tank actually sold for $240. The 236 tanks were shipped to Camp Borden where for nearly 2 years they proved a useful training vehicle. They were known to break down often, catch fire, and gave a bone jarring ride due to the lack of a suspension, but the soldiers learned maintenance and endurance. Since there was no onboard radio, the soldiers learned hand and flag signals and became proficient dealing with poor communications while still maintaining and executing formations. Hats off to the Canadians!


U.S. Mark VIII Heavy Tank
The U.S. Mark VIII Heavy Tank

By 1939 all U.S. Mark VIII tanks were in storage at Aberdeen Proving Ground and had been there since 1934. Any serviceable units were sent to Canada to aid in tank training in 1939. The unit shown here was assigned to the United States 67th Infantry Regiment who principally operated the 100 units that were produced between 1918 and 1919. The large cylinder on top was a water tank. The Mark 8 had terrible cooling problems associated with it's engine. Over the life of this tank, deliberate efforts were done in an effort to improve it's abilities and increase crew comfort. However, by the time Canada purchased them, they were totally obsolete.


(no photo)
U.S. M2 Medium Tank

Used for training by Canadian troops stationed in the United Kingdom. A total of 8 vehicles were used.


(no photo)
U.S. M3 Lee Medium Tank

Used for training by Canadian troops stationed in the United Kingdom. A total of 47 vehicles were used.


Produced by Canadian field workshops in Europe in 1944. The vehicle had 14 PIAT projectors mounted on a frame at the rear of a standard Universal Carrier.---The picture shows a carrier in Normandy belonging to the Royal Hamilton Lt. infantry. In the picture, they are excorting German P.O.W.s in August of 1944.---Bren Gun Carrier - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin

Canadian Bren Gun Carrier---This vehicle was equipped with a 2pdr gun but was used only for training.---WASP IIC - The Canadian version of the British Wasp. The main difference was the placement of the fuel tanks. The Canadians mounted them on the rear. The British version mounted them internally. Another difference was in the crew. The British manned the vehicle with 2 crewmen, the Canadians used 3. The extra man was used to operate a machine gun or a mortar. The Wasp was a conversion of the Universal Carrier for the flame role and was first tested in 1943. Three units were sent to the USSR in early 1945. There is no record of their use.
Universal Carrier

(no details)

Specifications
Crew 4
Length 13' 3"
Width 6' 7"
Height 6' 2"
Weight 11,200 lbs.
Armament 1 x 2pdr 1 x Bren Light MG
Engine Ford V8 95hp
Speed 20 mph

Ram 1---Ram 1---Ram 2

Ram 2---Kangaroo Personnel Carrier---Kangaroo
The Ram I and Ram II

Entering the war without a tank industry, 16 Vickers Mk VI, 12 Carden-Loyd carriers, little hope of future help from England, and 219 WW1 era junked U.S. tanks, Canada started her own tank production. The British Tank Mission, in collaboration with the Canadian General Staff, designed a modified U.S. M3 which would become the Ram. The Ram used standard M3 mechanical components, with a Canadian designed hull and cast turret. The first 50 would mount the 40mm 2 pounder cannon and were designated Mark 1. The remainder were called Mark 2 and had the 57mm 6 pounder cannon. Several AA conversions were proposed for RAM tanks. Many of these conversions were found wanting. The famous AA adaption called Skink, often thought to be a RAM conversion was actually a Grizzley.

Photos: Top Row - Ram I, Middle Row - Ram II, Bottom Row - Kangaroo

Ram Specifications
Crew 5
Engine 400 hp
Weight 65,014 lb
Speed 24.84 mph
Range 142.83 miles
Main Gun 2 Pounder (40 mm) or the 6 Pounder (57 mm) cannon.
Height 8.73'
Width 9.51'
Length 19.03'
Armor 25 - 89 mm

Sheep
The Sheep

Remember the Canadian Ram? Well this is a much lighter version. This was ordered by the Canadian Army H.Q. in the U.K. in March 1943.  It was a dummy Ram tank on a Canadian Ford 15 cwt truck chassis. It could also be erected in a static role without the vehicle. The project never went beyond the development stage.


Grizzley---Grizzley---Grizzley - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin

AA "Skink" - a Grizzly variant that was never adopted.---AA "Skink" - a Grizzly variant that was never adopted. By the time this vehicle came to Europe, the German Air Force was nearly extinct. It is recorded that the Skink, without aircraft to fight, was turned on German soldiers - with devistating effects! - Only one vehicle was deployed.
Grizzly

Canadian licence built American M4A1 "Sherman" tanks were named "Grizzly". The main difference between the "Sherman" and "Grizzly" tanks were the use of CDP tracks and an idler with 13 teeth instead of 17 teeth. From September to December of 1943, Montreal Locomotive Works produced 188 "Grizzly" tanks. Part of them equipped Canadian Forces in Europe, while the rest was used for training purposes. Several AA conversions were proposed for the Grizzley tank. One such test vehicle was the Skink and one unit was converted. Judging the unit to be a real battle winner, it was shipped over to Europe in 1945 for live testing. The Skink proved that it was valuable in knocking down German aircraft, HOWEVER, by 1945 there was little for it to actually shoot at. The Skink then found another purpose... it was turned on German infantry with devastating results. Though successful, little purpose could be found for production and the project was cancelled.

Specifications
Length 20' 4"
Width 8' 9"
Height 9' 4"
Weight 63,100 lbs.
Ground Clearance 17"
Engine Continental R975-C1
Speed 20 mph
Skink Specifications
Length 241"
Width 107"
Height 96"
Tread 83"
Ground Clearance 17"
Weight (Combat) 57,000 lbs
Performance 21mph
Engine Continental R975 C4, 400hp

Sexton---Sexton - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin
Sexton

Designed to meet a Commonwealth requirement for a self propelled mount for the 25 pdr, the Sexton copied its concept heavily from the American M7 Priest. Using the Ram chassis that was based initially on the M3 Lee, the Sexton differed from the Priest in several ways. Most visible was the lack of AA MG "pulpit" the Sexton being fitted to accept a Bren in an AA mounting, but this was almost never seen in practice. Like all Commonwealth vehicles, the Sexton was also right-hand drive.

The combination of 25 pdr and Lee type chassis proved most effective and the Sexton soldiered on in many Commonwealth armies for many years after the war. Some of the last Sextons in serve were used in South Africa and India well into the 1970s. Over 2400 Sextons were eventually built.


Chevrolet WA
Chevrolet WA

The Chevrolet WA is seen in the configuration developed by the LRDG for their operations in North Africa. The vehicle illustrated carries a lewis gun behind the cab and a Browing .30 cal M1919 with AA barrel above the dashboard. This vehicle was used by both Canada and Australia.


Chevrolet C60L GS truck
Chevrolet C60L GS truck

The Chevrolet C60L GS truck became the mainstay of Canadian production and was built in a bewildering variety of different model including water and petrol tankers, ambulances and recovery vehicles. This vehicle was also used by Australian forces.


Ford 3 Ton
Ford 3 ton truck

The Canadian built Ford 3 ton truck was re-assembled at the Ford subsidiary plant in Victoria State in Australia. The vehicle shown is carrying lighting equipment.


Ford C 11 ADF
Car, Heavy Utility, 4 X 2, Ford C 11 ADF

Orginally a Canadian Ford commercial vehicle, The 1942 Fordor Station Wagon was adapted for military use. The seating was for 5 personnel. A further adaptation was called the C 11 A 5. This unit could seat 7 passengers. Extra room for the passengers was made by using lighter tires and axles. Luggage space was canibalized for the extra seat. There was a further Ford heavy duty station wagon produced, but it was almost the same as the C 11. This vehicle is simply noted as a Ford Heavy Utility Car. This variant had a slightly different estate car body and front radiator grill. All three vehicles saw service in North Africa and Italy.


Canadian Valentine---Valentine at Camp Borden - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin
Valentine

The Canadian Defence Department contracted the Canadian Pacific Railway Company of Montreal for 488 Valentines to equip the 1st Canadian Armored Brigade. However by the time these were built the Brigade was already in England and all except 30 were sent to Russia.

Concieved on Valentines day, this Vickers design would become one of the legendary tanks of WW2. The Valentine would be warped into a host of variations by the end of the war. The variations included Canal Defense Light, Flame Throwers, Duplex Drive, Scorpion, Archer, Bishop, Bridgelayers, and many unrecorded field modifications. The Valentine saw service on all fronts and was considered reliable and sturdy by it's crews. The bulk of Valentines produced by Canada were sent to the Soviet Union. This tank did have drawbacks, but it's main contribution was that it was available in quantity at a time when it was most needed - a claim that not many British tanks can ever make. At least eleven marks were produced between July 1939 and May 1945.

Specifications
Weight 39,000 lbs
Powerplant AEC diesel - 131 hp
GMC diesel - 138 hp
Length 17' 9"
Width 8' 7.5"
Height 7' 5.5"
Performance 15 mph on road
Performance 8 mph cross country
Range 90 miles
Fording 3'

Canadian troops in France with a Crusader III mounting AA guns.---Crusader
Crusader
Considered one of the "classic" tanks of WW2

This area is contested. It is suggested that Canada never used this tank. Proof is needed!

Entering service in 1941, the beautiful, sleek, powerful, agressive appearance of this tank made it an eye catcher. Beneath the skin, though, she was ugly. Weak tracks, and unreliable engine, and terrible armament plagued this design. Though this tank was not a battle winner in it's primary role, it proved itself useful in it's conversions. Variants included, AA, dozers, gun tractors, and armored recovery vehicles. It was in these secondary roles that this tank would remain useful up to the end of WW2.

Specifications
Crew 3
Weight 44,240lbs
Engine Nuffield Liberty Mk 3, 340hp
Length 19' 8"
Width 8' 8"
Height 7' 4"
Performance 27mph (max)
15mph (off road)
Range w/extra tank 127 miles
Fording 3' 3"
Vertical obstacle 2' 3"
Trench 8' 6"

M5 Stuart---M5A1 Stuart - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin
M5A1 Stuart

The American Stuart family of light tanks were developed from a line of vehicles stretching back to 1934. As such they were both a blessing and a curse. Compared to most British tanks when they first arrived in 1941, the M3s were extremely reliable and fast and sported guns and armor that were the equal of their British contemporaries. Unfortunately, the German tanks were already pulling away from both the American and British designs. Obsolescent by 1942 and obsolete within another year Stuarts soldiered on in American and Commonwealth light tank formations until the end of the war primarily because nothing better was readily available.

Stuarts were fast and they were reliable, something most British design couldn't manage right up to the end of the war. Used in the Recce troops of armoured reconnaissance regiments some armored car and infantry division reconnaissance regiments replaced some armoured cars with Stuarts that had the turret removed. This both increased the vehicle's speed and gave these units an armored vehicle that could go places their cars could not.


Matilda II---Matilda II - here shown in the desert of North Africa manned by British soldiers.---Matilda II at Camp Borden - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin
Matilda II
"Queen of Battle"

The A12 Infantry Tank Mk 2 came into production in 1938 and was destined to become one of the greatest tanks in history. Slow, reliable, and nearly shot proof, it became a real battle winner despite the poor performance of it's 40mm main gun. Long after this tank became outmoted by heavier enemy models, it soldiered on as useful variants - most of which took place in the field so that a complete listing will never be known. The best known varients were the Baron, Scorpion, AMRA pushers, CDL, dozers, Frog, and recovery units. This tank served in all theaters of war from 1939 - 45. Matildas served in regiments of the 1st Canadian Army Tank Brigade from July through October 1941 until replaced by Churchill's.

Specifications
Crew 3
Weight 39,000lbs
Engine AEC diesel, 131hp
GMC diesel 138hp
Length 17' 9"
Width 8' 7.5"
Height 7' 5.5"
Performance 15mph (on road)
8mph (off road)
Range 90 miles
Vertical obstacle 2' 9"
Fording 3'
Trench 7' 6"

Canadian Churchill------Camp Borden, 1989. - Photo thanks to Dennis Berkin.
Churchill

The Churchill tank has an honoured if tarnished place in Canadian Armored history. Tanks belonging to the 14th Armored Reg't, The Calgary Reg't (Calgary Tanks), were assigned to accompany and support the regiments of the 2nd Canadian Inf. Div. that assaulted Dieppe on August 19, 1942. Even though the assault was to be a failure and a sharp incentive towards the development of the specialist armor used at Normandy and beyond, there were several specialist modifications made to the Churchills at Dieppe. Included in the attack were Mks I, II and III along with some outfitted with flame-throwers called OKEs. Several Churchills were outfitted with bobbins of mats to be unwound under the tracks to improve traction over the shingle beach.

While all the tanks that were landed were eventually lost, several did manage to break into the town and assist the infantry and very few were actually knocked out by enemy action. Their crews abandoned many after breaking down on the beach and/or after firing all their ammunition in support of the beleaguered infantry.

To even provide a list of all the marks and variants of this tank would require book! Simply put, this rugged, ugly tank was a true battle winner and was a direct decendent of the Matilda. This model gave a bit of parity with German tanks thanks to it's thick armor, and heavier main gun. Initially, the tank had some serious teething problems when introduced, but time ironed them out. Tank crews liked the model and examples continued to be operated into the 1960's in some countrys.

Specifications
Crew 5
Weight 89,600lbs
Engine Bedford twin 6, 350hp
Length 24' 5"
Width 8'
Height 11' 4"
Performance 12.5mph (on road)
8mph (off road)
Range 90 miles
Fording 3' 4"
Vertical obstacle 2' 6"
Trench 10'

Chaffee
Chaffee

(no information)


Archers of C Troop 18th Battery 2nd A Tank Regiment 4th Brigade 2nd Canadian Infantry Division - Photo thanks to Dennis Berkin---Canadian Archer - Photo thanks to Dennis Berkin
Archer

Design of the 17pdr as a high velocity anti-tank weapon comparable in hitting power to the Germaqn 88mm gun began in the fall of 1941. It was approved for production in mid 1942 and consideration was given to fitting it in tanks. Consideration was also given to the Bishop, but this was ruled out due to the vehicles high silhouette. The Crusader was ruled out as being too small and underpowered to take the mounting which left the Valentine as the only available alternative existing in quantity. The Ministry of Supply asked Vickers to design an entirely new SPG vehicle based on the Valentine. Work started in July 1942 and the pilot was ready for trials in March 1943. Named Archer, the SP was a low, open topped vehicle with a radical twist - the gun had a limited traverse and always pointed to the rear. The first production model was completed in March 1944 and used in North West Europe. What was at first considered to be only a temporary fix turned into a great success. A total of 665 of these hard hitting and trusty tanks were built out of an original order of 800.

Specifications
Crew 4
Weight 36,960lbs
Length 21' 11.25"
Width 8' 7.5"
Height 7' 4.5"
Armor 8 - 60mm
Powerplant GMC 165hp Diesel
Armament 1 x 95mm or 6pdr, or 25pdr.
Performance 15mph
Range 90 miles

Cromwell tanks of the Canadian 4th Armored Division.
Cromwell

(no information)


(no photo)
Bishop

(no information)


Sherman---Canadian Sherman Crab---Canadian troops manning a M4 Sherman during the invasion of Sicily
M4 Sherman and variants

The rightmost picture was taken in 1943 during the invasion of Sicily.


Staghound---Canadian Staghound of the 12th manitoba dragoons, in Hochwald Forest, 1945.---Photo contribution by Dennis Berkin.

A Staghound of the Manitoba Dragoons seen here in Belgium during September 1944 - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---A Staghound of "D" Squadron of the Manitoba Dragoons seen here in NW Europe in 1944 - Photo provided by DennisBerkin---Staghound Rocket Carrier with the RCAC in England in 1945. It is not believed that this production vehicle ever saw combat. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.---Staghound with Rockets - Manitoba Dragoons - September 1944. This was a "locally produced" model by field workshops. - Photo provided by DennisBerkin.
Staghound

The picture on the right shows a Staghound of the 12th manitoba dragoons, in Hochwald Forest, 1945.


Otter---Canadian Otter - Photo researched by Dennis Berkin---1943 - Photo contribution by Dennis Berkin.---Canadian Otter - Photo researched by Dennis Berkin
Otter

(no information)


Lynx---RCD Lynx Armored Car 1943 - Dennis Berkin---RCD Lynx Armored Car 1943 - Dennis Berkin---Photo contribution by Dennis Berkin.

Photo research by Dennis Berkin---Photo research by Dennis Berkin---Photo research by Dennis Berkin---Germany 1945 - Photo research by Dennis Berkin.
Ford Lynx

The Ford Lynx Scout Car, manufactured in two major variants at Windsor, Ontario, was a light reconnaissance vehicle derived from the British Dingo. 3255 units were built. Lynx came in two models, basic differences were stowage compartments.

Specifications
Armor 12 - 30mm
Engine 239ci Ford V8
Weight 9370 lbs
Height 70"

RCD Daimler Dingo with General Tommy Burns in England 1941 - Dennis Berkin
Daimler Dingo

No Details.

Specifications
Armor 12 - 30mm
Engine ?
Weight ?
Height 70"

15 CWT
15 CWT

(no information)


C15TA
C15TA

General Motors of Canada built the C15TA Armored Truck. The C15T was a four-wheel drive personnel transport built upon the standard 15CWT truck chassis.


(no picture)
Badger

The Canadians demonstrated their interest in flamethrower tanks by fitting Wasp equipment to old Ram tanks in order to produce the Badger. These conversions were carried out in the UK for the Canadian 1st Army. Early Badgers did not have turrets, though later versions did. The turretless version being based on Ram Kangaroo personnel carriers. Badgers were used by the Canadians from February 1945 onwards.


Fox - Photo courtesy of Dennis G. Berkin---1943 Fox - Photo contribution by Dennis Berkin---Fox Armored Car 1940 - Photo supplied by Dennis Berkin---Fox Armored Car in England, 1941 - Photo provided by DennisBerkin---RCD Fox Armored Car in England, 1943 - Photo provided by DennisBerkin
Fox

This armored car which saw some service in India, Italy and Great Britain, the GM (General Motors) Fox was based upon the British Humber series of armored cars.


Photo taken sometime in 1943. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.
US White M3 Scout Car

No details


RCD 'C" Sqadron with a White Half-Track sometime in 1943. - Photo provided by Dennis Berkin.
US White M3 Half Track

No details


Canadian transfer of an M10 to Belgium in 1951. - Photo research by Dennis Berkin
US M10 Tank Destroyer

No details


Japanese Harley Davidson copy captured on Kiska Island, Alaska.
Japanese Harley Davidson Copy

Details in the Japan section of TANKS!


Canadian War Posters


People who helped make this page possible

Katya & Monkey
Katya Kuersteiner

Daniella.jpg (7421 bytes)
Daniella Carlsson

Dennis G. Berkin
Dennis G. Berkin

Steve Guy
Author Of
Thunder and Steel

Dana J. Nield
Author Of
dana-nield.com

Paul Roberts

Bill Morran

ohoh

guestbook

Last Update: Thursday, February 13, 2003